Author Topic: 1745 GOFF(Lee Co.,VA,USA (The Group)  (Read 4349 times)

goffbillkymo

1745 GOFF(Lee Co.,VA,USA (The Group)
« on: July 03, 2016, 02:38:19 PM »
I am William E Goff, FTDNA (B2394), ancestry.com (9goff32424).
I believe everyone in this group is "brick walled" in their tree's in the mid to late 1700's. I would like to post some information that is relevant to everyone in this group.
I have taken every dna test at FTDNA and ancestry and have managed to get my brother (488478) tested. He and I are off by 1(DYS437) at 111 Y tested.
Due to our genetic Y markers, everyone in the "1745 Goff" group belong to the "Irish Continental/Irish Type 4" Y dna group.
https://sites.google.com/site/irishtype4/irish-type-4-sub-clade
This is not a surname group. It is a larger group with similar Y dna markers.
These are all the people that you connect too at the 12Y, 25Y,37Y and the 67Y test level.
To get past all these distant people, I took the" Big Y" test. I believe I am the only person in our group to take this test.
ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=15
If you go to this site you will see that my tested haplogroup is "Z18128". It will also show where my/our haplogroup differs from many of the other surnames that show up as "connections" in Y dna tests.
There are only 2 other surname in this "Z18128" group and they are Fitzpatrick and O'Shea. I had my brother tested for the Z18128 haplogroup. He was "presumed" R-M269 and he tested positive for Z18128. I believe that everyone in the "1745 Goff" group would test positive for Z18128.
If we could get everyone in the "1745 Goff" group to upgrade to a 111 Y marker test we would be much closer to finding out how our tree's connect.
My reason for getting into dna testing was to get past a "brick wall". I am only interested in finding out how and when my Goff line entered the USA. I firmly believe that my line is the same as all the Goff's in the "1745 Goff' group.
When I first started with dna I connected with a George Goff at 12Y. He had died with no tree on record. I now have over 300 connections at 12Y. If you expect results you have to test. If you pass away without testing you will only make the wall higher.
For the record. I am old and I live on a very "modest" income. I hope someone finds a box of lost Goff family records and enlightens me. There is a better chance of answers coming through dna.
1745 Goff's have no real connection with people in the "Four Brothers Of Western Virginia"book.
Regards

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:01:17 PM by BillGoff »

goffbillkymo

Re: 1745 GOFF(Lee Co.,VA,USA (The Group)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
I believe every one in this group would have a terminal haplogroup of "Z18128". To have the "Z18128"SNP tested cost's $39 at FTDNA (male only). This group has tried to make individual tree's the reason that this group exists. It has been several other names, before it became "The 1745 Goff etc "group. None of these names have reflected the unifying factors that make this group "unique". For years there was a "Thomas Goff" in the "not grouped " section of the "Goff DNA Study". This person from Rhode Island had taken a 37Y dna test from ancestry.com . He had the "type 4 Irish continental"markers  that every one in this group has. His Goff line came from Waterford Ireland , around 1850. Because his "tree" was different from the group, he was excluded from "our" group. This is a "DNA Study" and not a "tree" study. There was a good possibility that his line had remained in Ireland long after our group had migrated to America. This is a possible connection. As a dna study we are trying to make a tree conform to the dna. It is suppose to be the other way around.

This group does belong to "the Irish Type 4 Continental"group. This is a multi-name group that have some similar markers that identify it ,with the group. We are Goff's with very similar Y dna markers, that belong to this group. I am the only person in this group that has taken "The Big Y" test. My terminal SNP is Z18128. I believe every Goff in our group has the same terminal SNP. For this to be wrong would mean that there is more than one Goff line within the "Type 4 Irish Continental" group. This is possible but not very probable. It is $39 for the Z18128 Test and $600 for The Big Y test.

I had my brother tested at 111Y STR and he was off by 1. We are 1 and 1/2 years different in ages. I also had him tested and he was positive for the Z18128 SNP. They say that the SNP is your branch on the tree and the STR's are the leaves. I have a Goff at FTDNA that I am a perfect match at 67Y STR.  We are unable to connect our tree's. 67 Y STR used to be the standard. It now requires an 111Y STR test. The differences are as important as the match's on these tests. The 67Y -111Y STR test includes a marker DYS549 and both myself and my brother have it at "10". Less than 1% of all R1b people (extremely large group) have this . I believe every one in our group will have this and it is extremely slow at mutating.

Please get upgrades.
Regards

goffbillkymo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
I found many older Irish sites that claim that Irish tradition had a naming pattern for their children. This pattern was the same for Scottish families.

1st son- named after his father's father.
2nd son- named after his mother's father.
3rd son- named after his father.
4th son- named after his father's oldest brother.
5th son- named after his father's 2nd oldest brother or his mother's oldest brother.

1st daughter- named after her mother's mother.
2nd daughter- named after her father's mother.
3rd daughter- named after her mother.
4th daughter- named after her mother's oldest sister.
5th daughter- named after her mother's 2nd oldest sister or her father's oldest sister.

Something to think about.

goffbillkymo

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
I just received a 111Y match with a GD of 10.
Butler-Born 1760 Virginia or South Carolina.
Married to a Mary Polly Moore-Died before 1860/70 Monroe Co. Georgia.
This makes it my closest STR match at 111Y that is unexplained.
I have Three 111Y matches. My brother with a GD of 1/ A Baxter with a GD of 4 (I believe this is a Goff cross 1830's Indiana)/ The above Butler.
Bill Goff
B2394
2-7-17-The above Butler tested positive for the Z-18128 terminal haplogroup. That makes four surnames with that finding. Shea(4)-Fitzpatrick(1)-Butler(1) and Goff(2). Goff is still the only surname with the STR DYS549 at 10, which is very rare.
3-13-17- The Shea people have moved to a terminal haplogroup of BY15542 & BY15543(below Z18128). Fitzpatrick moved to BY15542. Butler has not taken the "Big Y" test and I have tested
              negative for their haplogroup's. This makes Goff the only tested name with a terminal Z18128 position.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:14:33 PM by goffbillkymo »

pgo1963

• GGFA Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »
If you've not yet done so, I urge you to do the $49 upload and analysis of your Big Y results to www.yfull.com. This will help identify how you relate to others with the same recent YSNPS. If you choose to do this, you will need to request your Big Y BAM file from FTDNA and then share it with YFull. Thanks,

Phil

goffbillkymo

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »
Phil- I did all the things you suggested a few years back. Margaret Jordan of the O'Shea DNA Study has been a big help. The only things I see that will move this "small" Goff group forward is;
 A- Getting Goff's in Ireland tested.
 B-Getting the few members of this small Goff group tested to 111Y. A GD difference could be more helpful than a hit. I know of no Goff in this group who can take their tree back before the late 
    1700's. Did this group arrive in America,from Ireland, as a Goff or become one ?
Regards
Bill Goff
B2394 

pgo1963

• GGFA Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »
Bill,

You've done Family Finder. Please remind me of your kit # at GEDMatch. I've accumulated a list of about 150 Goff/Gough kits there and want to see what I can find among your triangulated matches. Getting back prior to 1745 stretches the atDNA limits, but we may find a slightly more recent connection that could help.  Thanks,

Phil

goffbillkymo

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
Phil- I have done Family Finder and AncestyDNA.
Gedmatch Gedcom-2758777.
                 DNA-T017078.

goffbillkymo

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 01:32:12 PM »
The new Big Y end point haplogroup for me and I believe for everyone else in this group is R-BY83376.
This puts us down stream of the other established Irish names in this group according to the Family Tree DNA haplotree.
I believe this implies this group is an older American Line as well as an older Irish line.
See the post at family tree dna/Goff/activity feed.
I was unable to insert picture at this site.