Author Topic: GedMatch is Accepting Uploads Again  (Read 6572 times)

pgo1963

• GGFA Member
GedMatch is Accepting Uploads Again
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
Testing of autosomal DNA has exploded over the last year. Of course, males and females are eligible for this test, so there's twice as many potential candidates as for the Y-DNA test. Today, Ancestry.com, FTDNA and 23andme offer largely the same service. Remember that matching against the largest database possible is the key to success. Regardless of which service you used, you can expand your matching potential by uploading your results to www.gedmatch.com. Over the summer, the GEDMatch system did not accept new uploads since its system was overwhelmed by uploads from new AncestryDNA customers.

About a week ago GEDMatch began accepting uploads again. Please upload your results to www.gedmatch.com today. Thanks,

Phil Goff

ggfaAdmin

• Administrator
Re: GedMatch is Accepting Uploads Again
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »
Phil,
I agree that GedMatch is a helpful tool.   I see a lot of "matches" in my one-to-many comparisons.   I am still learning how to interpret by results.  I see that I can sort my comparisons by length of longest matching segment.   My question:  is there a threshold length at which a match is particularly significant?  It appears that my closest match  has a total of 45.5 cM with the largest segment of 31.5.   
Do you have any links to suggest for those of us who would like to learn more?

Dani Roach

• GGFA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »
Hi,
With the help of Phil Goff, I just uploaded my DNA from Ancestry.   How long does it take before I know connections to others that they find I am related?
Dani Roach

roinhoff

• GGFA Member
    • Bob's Genealogy Quest
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
Dani,

I think my results took a couple of weeks with GEDMatch.    There is so much information and I am still trying to learn how to interpret it.
Have you tried also filtering you matches at Ancestry by Surname?    I certainly have found some Goff matches that way as well.   But there is so much more data in GedMatch.